Thursday, May 8, 2014

Psalm 111
This psalm, like a repeating melody begins and ends on the same note, praising the Lord, as does the reading for today.
In praising the Lord the writer uses such words as great, glorious, majestic, gracious, compassionate, faithful, just, trustworthy, steadfast, upright, holy, awesome.  So whenever we may be at a loss for words concerning praising Him, ponder these words.

Psalm 130
There is only one solution to the sin question since all our transgressions and trespasses are recorded. God has provided a sacrifice—Jesus, through whom there is redemption for all.
Ps 130:1-7
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD; O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

The Hebrew word for the word LORD (all caps) is Yehovah (God, the Father) and the word Lord (only capital L) is Adonai (God, the Son). The writer is calling to God the Father, but it is God the Son who interacts. The soul waits for redemption through God the Son. Read this again and place the Father  and Son where they belong in place of the words LORD or Lord and see if it gives a deeper meaning. Also remember God the Son is the “word”.  Here's how it would read.
Out of the depths I cry to you, Father; O Jesus, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. If you, Father kept a record of sins, O Jesus, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared. I wait for the Father, my soul waits, and in his word (Jesus) I put my hope. My soul waits for Jesus more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Psalm 131
What a beautiful picture of resting totally in His presence, stilled and quieted as a weaned child cuddled up with its mother.

Psalm 141
“Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.”
Boy are we getting hammered lately concerning our careless words.

We have a responsibility to fellow believers and they to us for accountability.  We must welcome as well as give godly council - easy to do when encouraging others and being encouraged ourselves, but not so easy when rebuking others or hearing rebuke from others.  However we are told, "Let a righteous man strike me - it is a kindness; let him rebuke me - it is oil on my head."

Psalm 146
There should be no exemption from the service of praising God. So long as He lets us breathe, we should bless Him for His love and goodness and mercy and grace and faithfulness. So...let's use some of those words listed at the beginning of the reading today from Psalm 111, cuddle up with Him and praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment