Sunday, May 25, 2014

Prov 17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
To be cheerful is to be ready to greet others with an upbeat welcome, a word of encouragement, enthusiastic, and with a positive attitude.  We have plenty of reason to be cheerful and what a witness we can be through that cheerfulness.

What a jewel hidden away in these little verses!!!
Prov 30:1-4
The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh-- an oracle: This man declared to Ithiel, to Ithiel and to Ucal: "I am the most ignorant of men; I do not have a man's understanding. I have not learned wisdom, nor have I knowledge of the Holy One. Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!
How wise Agur was! Even though he said he was the most ignorant of men. Yet he knew that the Holy One (God the Father) had a son (Jesus). AMAZING!

Proverbs 30: 7-9 reminds us that when things go well for us, we should not fall into the trap of thinking we don't need God in our lives.

Proverbs 30 is quite a contrast to Proverbs 31. Proverbs 30 warns of the dangers of spiritual adultery.  Verse 20 says, This is the way of an adulteress; She eats and wipes her mouth and says, "I've done nothing wrong."
Compromise, justification, rationalization are just a few of the words that come to mind in response to this verse.  We can't justify and rationalize our actions by saying, "That's not what it means to me."   The question is, "What does it mean to God?"

Prov 31:8a
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
The unborn, perhaps?

The Wife of Noble Character
Prov 31:31
Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
We shouldn’t seek praise, but when it comes accept it gracefully, but give God the glory.
Did you notice what’s missing from her description?  Does it mention anything about her outward appearance?  Not only can we compare this proverb to women, but we can compare the characteristics listed there to all Believers in Jesus.  We are the bride of Christ.  Now go back and substitute Jesus for the husband and your name for the wife.
Here are just a few examples of the substitution from this proverb in the form of questions:
Am I worth more than rubies?  Does Jesus have full confidence in me?  Do I bring Jesus good and not harm?  Do I go about my work vigorously?  Is Jesus respected at my "city gate"?  Am I clothed with strength and dignity?  Do I speak with wisdom?  Is faithful instruction on my tongue.  Does Jesus arise and call me blessed?  Makes all the difference in the world when we personalize it, doesn't it???

No comments:

Post a Comment