Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why on earth did Josiah march out to meet the king of Egypt in battle?

We’ve been thinking quite a bit lately about the prophecies of Isaiah and Jeremiah. Their prophecies were fulfilled many years after they were made. Why? Why were the prophecies not fulfilled sooner? Could it be because some of the people really did listen and heed the warnings of the prophets? Did God delay the captivity? Did He withhold His hand of discipline because some of the people listened and obeyed?

We’ve also been thinking about the power of one person in bringing about a change in attitude. What if one powerful spiritual leader were to take to heart the words in Psalm 18 or the words in 2 Chronicles 7 or the words of the prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah?

Another thought, could an ordinary person also bring about a change in attitude? You know God has a way of taking the ordinary and turning it into the extraordinary. How about joining with us to pray for our powerful spiritual leaders that they would truly take to heart the words of Scripture and take a stand for Him? Let’s also pray for each other, that we each may take to heart the words of Scripture…who knows what might happen! We may just change the world!

Ps 81:10-14
I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. "If my people would but listen to me, if Israel would follow my ways, how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!

When the Hebrew people came out of Egypt, they were told to go in and take the land. All they had to do was figuratively “open wide” their mouth and God would “fill it”.

But the people didn’t listen so what happened? God “gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices”. But if only they would listen, God promised to “subdue their enemies”.

2 Chr 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

This is a verse that has been quoted often lately. Keep in mind that it is the people who are “called by my name” that need to humble themselves, seek His face, and turn from their wicked ways. It doesn’t say that we are supposed to pray that the other guys must turn from their wicked ways. Takes on a whole new meaning then doesn’t it???

No comments:

Post a Comment