Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We hear verse 11 in Jeremiah 9 quoted often. The only problem is people don’t want to read the verses prior to verse 11 or after verse 11. While God certainly does have plans to prosper us, plans to give us hope and a future, He tells the people of Judah that they will go into captivity (70 years to be exact). Sometimes God sends us places that are uncomfortable and unpleasant. Verse 13 says we need to seek Him. How exactly are we supposed to do that? What does it look like to seek Him?

Jer 29:11-13
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Hananiah foretells a portion of the truth. He soft pedals and tells Judah that they will only be in captivity for two years. He was trying to soften the blow. God calls this rebellion against Him. That should tell us something about how God feels about false prophecy and false teaching. Often there is an element of truth. False teachers tell enough of the truth to make it believable and enough lie to make it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment