Sunday, September 9, 2012

A word of warning.  We must be very cautious in quoting the book of Job. Job’s “friends” tell just enough truth to make their words believable and just enough lie to make it wrong. Satan does the same thing to us. 

Eliphaz appeals to mysticism. He speaks of a spirit and a form and a hushed voice. Could these be evil spirits, which we should never be listening to? Or are they heavenly spirits sent to calm us amid disquieting dreams in the night? It depends on what the hushed voices are saying. If we can't tell the difference between evil spirits and heavenly spirits, it just may not be from God. 

Job 5 speaks of God’s blessings which come after the discipline. The words of Eliphaz here let us know that he doesn’t understand at all why Job is suffering. He thinks Job is being disciplined. 

Eliphaz also equates doing good with blessings and doing evil with punishment. As Believers in Jesus, we know that isn’t always the case at least in worldly standards.
Yet Eliphaz has some good advice in Chapter 5.

In chapter 6 Job speaks from the depths of his being of his anguish and misery. Job had more problems that just the physical. It was mental and spiritual as well. And yet he says he will go to his death still maintaining his integrity. Then he admits that he isn’t sure his strength will hold up and is asking God to take him now. He's afraid the pressure is going to be beyond his control.  He wants to die, not because of the physical suffering, but because of the spiritual.  He is afraid the pressure will become so great that he will curse God.  At this point this fear is becoming a paralyzing fear.  

Psa 55:5   
Fear and trembling have come on me, and horror has covered me.
Praise God, we have these words of wisdom from the book of Psalms.

Psa 55:22  Cast your burden on Jehovah, and He will keep you; He will never allow the righteous to waver.
Job speaks some words also spoken by David.
Job 7:17-19
"What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment? Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant?
Ps 8:3-4
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?
Ps 139:7-10
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
How comforting as Believers to know that we are never away from His presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment