Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What a comforting verse:
Isa 48:17  
"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."
He doesn't necessarily give us what we want but what is best for us, like any good parent would.  But, of course God is the perfect parent. 
But He reminds us in the next verse that if we had paid attention to His commands, we would have peace like a river. 

There is also a reminder in this verse about what God has done in the past.
Isaiah 48:21
They did not thirst when he led them through the deserts;  he made water flow for them from the rock; he split the rock and water gushed out.
Whenever we may be tempted to put God's capabilities in our own little "box of understanding", let's remember this verse.  This great God can bring water from a rock!  Isaiah 50: 2 Was my arm too short to deliver you? Do I lack the strength to rescue you?  How can we ever doubt His power?
 
Isa 49:4  
But I said, "I have labored for no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.  Yet, what is due me is in the Lord's hand, and my reward is with my God."
Sometimes, truth-tellers may feel as if no one is listening.  But that really shouldn't matter.  The only thing that matters is this.  Are we doing what we have been called to do?  If so, leave it in the Lord's hands.  He will bring about His purpose, in His time.

Have you ever been somewhere and been given a very important phone number? You find a pen but no paper. You frantically look around for something to write on but find nothing. Out of desperation, because the number is so important, you scribble the number on the palm of your hand. Can you imagine a number so important that you would etch the number with a sharp instrument in the palm of your hand?
Well, ponder this verse today!
Isa 49:16a
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
God engraves us on the palms of His hands. We must be pretty important!
Another point to ponder. How about all of us? Have we engraved His name on the palms of our hands? Do we live our lives as if we are proud to be called His own?

Isaiah 49:22-23 gives us another glimpse into the millennial kingdom.  Gentiles will be serving the descendants of Jacob.

Isaiah 50:4-5
The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary.  He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not drawn back.
Isaiah 50:7b
Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.

These are great affirmation verses for "truth tellers" and the way to start each day.  The Lord wakens us each morning.  He wakens our ears to listen to what He wants to say to us.  Our response should be to move forward on His instructions and set our faces like flint, no matter what the rest of the world says or does. God has the final word!  Remember our beginning verse today.
Isa 48:17  
"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."
We just need to listen and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment