Sunday, April 20, 2014

In the psalms for today, we see a theme woven throughout.  David cries out to the Lord and pleads his case, then asks for vindication from his enemies. In order to understand the psalms better, try putting them in your own words, maybe even with some specific details of your life at the moment.  

Psalm 13
In this psalm David prays for deliverance from his enemies. Just because God's face seems to be hidden from us and we feel overwhelmed because of our enemies, it doesn't mean that God has forgotten us.  We need to trust Him and rejoice in our salvation, no matter what Satan may throw our way.

Psalm 17
David prays for relief from the pressure of enemies. He gives us an answer to why the wicked prosper. 
"O Lord, by your hand save me from such men, from men of this world whose reward is in this life."
They receive their reward in this life and not in eternity. 
David clings to the prospect of sleeping in death and awakening in His presence. This enables David to cheerfully waive the discomforts, trials, tribulations of this life and suffer with patience keeping eternity in mind.  
 

Psalm 23 (in our words)

The Lord takes care of me. I have everything I need.

He takes me to peaceful surroundings. He encourages me.

He disciplines and protects me.

He makes me feel safe. I have no fear of death.

I am anointed. I belong to HIM.

His goodness and love follow me wherever I go.

He has made a room in His house just for me.

I will live with HIM forever!


Psalm 26 
David cries out to the Lord to vindicate him from his enemies, stating that he has led a blameless life - not sinless but blameless because he's forgiven. Same thing applies to Believers.  We certainly are not sinless, but praise God, He forgives us.

Psalm 28
David contrasts "the pit" to the "Most Holy Place".  Can't get much farther apart than that!  The heart that truly believes in Him will praise Him!

Psalm 31
There is a prophetic nature to some of the verses of this psalm.
"Into your hands I commit my spirit;" 
These words were spoken by Jesus on the cross.  
"anguish of soul"
Jesus suffered the ultimate anguish of soul when He took all our sins upon Himself on the cross.

Through Psalm 31 and may of his others, David teaches us that our lives are safe in God's hands and we should yield ourselves to Him, to be sanctified by His grace, devoted to His honor, employed in His service and fitted for His Kingdom.  Believers are already sanctified by His grace, if we use our spiritual gifts for His service in His Kingdom, being devoted to His honor just naturally follows. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment